Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Doll

Once upon a time, there was a craft fairy who had the time and energy to make crafts such as this doll:

How it's made:

I used a 4x4 piece of wood, about 7 inches tall as the doll's body. I glued this on a another piece of wood, about 3" in diameter and 1/4" thick. This was the base. I used a scrap of red material (a remnant of DD's Christmas dress which I sewed years ago when she was over a year old. Whew! Talk about a pack-rat!). I used running stitches (hand sewn, as I was too lazy to bring out the sewing machine) on one end of this material and pulled it together to make the neckline. I used a round wooden ball for the head. I couldn't find one that has a pre-painted face on it, luckily Michael's has these doll face rub-ons which I used for the face. I cut several strings of brown raggedy yarn, tied all strings in the middle and glued this on the top center of the head. I arranged the strands and glued some pieces to the wood to cover the head. A piece of gold and red bows (from a gift package) was glued on the head.

Then I glued the head on top of the body in an angle to make it look like the doll is lovingly looking at you.

I made the arms by sewing a piece of narrow scrap along its long edges, used some white stuffing, cut the edges of a popsicle stick and used these as hands, glued the hands on one end of the arm, glued the white lace around the wrists, glued the other end of the arm on the shoulders, glued a piece of white lace around the neck to cover the neck and edges of the upper arm, glued the back of the dress together, and glued another piece of white lace at the bottom of the dress. (whew!) There's a lot of glueing. I made the little gift box (out of a jewelry box) and glued this to the hands. The doll was supposed to be an angel. I put off making the wings...and never did get to do it. It looks cute as it is, though!




So here it is.. the first thing guests see as they enter the front door.

And oh... the tree is store-bought which I decorated with whatever small ornaments I could find. TFS

Supplies used: wood scraps, wooden ball, fluffy brown yard, red & gold ribbons, white lace, red remnants, popsicle stick, face rub-on, timy jewelry box and scrap of gift wrap, hot glue gun.




1 comment:

Lee i. said...

Very nice. Unfortunately, I don't have much creativity to make these. Kaya ikaw na lang sis. Gawa mo kami. Hehehe.