Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ching's Kaya 21

Kinayanan ko. It was really challenging, the fact that I don't have any of the old things I treasured long before my kids were born. I would have loved to inherit my paternal grandmother's jar of buttons. I wonder what ever happened to those when she passed away. It was unfortunate I was half-way around the world when she did. I would have wanted my paternal grandfather's harmonica. He always played Que Sera, Sera on it, a song he is so fondly remembered for. From my maternal grandmother, I would have loved to keep that beige silky blouse she always used on special occasions. No matter how old and tattered it would have been, I would still keep it; along with the very simple comb she always used to hold her hair bun together. From my maternal grandfather, I would have liked to keep one of his pipes. Every time I smell tobacco burning in a pipe I remember the kisses I tried to avoid when I was a kid. I wouldn't mind it now just to feel the warmth of his hugs and kisses on my cheek!

I debated as to whether to have used a ring my mother gave me when I was still in college. It was one of her earrings. She lost one and had the other one made into a ring. I will treasure this forever.

The one precious item I chose was from both of my parents. It is a box of prayers. It symbol of their love for me. The way I see it, they put all their prayers in one box and gave that to me.
When I take out a card to pray, it is their voices I hear saying the prayer out loud, praising God and asking them to keep and guide me. It reminds me of how they taught me to pray and believe; that I am not really alone - there is always Someone to talk to and Someone who always listens.

Supplies used: Black cardstock, paper scraps from a collection by My Mind's Eye, flower cut-outs from a patterned paper, Prima flowers, Colorbox fluid chalk used to distress the edges of the Prima flowers; adhesive blings from Darice, Fiskars Threading Water punch, foam dots, K&Co Blue Awning journaling tag.

No comments: